Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Cranberry Sauce


I heart cranberries. They are one of my very very favorite fruits. Something about their tartness just gets to me. In fact, my mouth is watering as I write this. Ha! Plus they're native to the U.S. and they are so very seasonal.

Anyway, I always look forward to cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving, and today's the day I'm making in mine in preparation for tomorrow.

I have one recipe I know I love -- my mom's -- and I found another that is enticing. I'm thinking of either making two batches or combining the two somehow into one new one. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Can someone tell me, though -- is there a difference between cranberry sauce and cranberry relish? I am assuming it has something to do with the differing amounts of water used, but I don't know for sure.

Mom's Cranberry Sauce

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
12-ounces fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed and drained

Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil; add cranberries, return to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cover and cool completely at room temperature. Refrigerate until serving time.

Makes 2 1/4 cups

My Twist on Everyday Food's Cranberry Relish

12-ounces fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed and drained
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar

In a large saucepan, bring cranberries, sugar, and 2 tablespoons water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until most of the cranberries have popped, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in vinegar.

Remove relish from heat. Let cool to room temperature, and serve (or refrigerate in an airtight container up to 3 days).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin