Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

New-Fangled Cooking

There's an interesting article in today's New York Times about the rise of the use of chemicals ("obscure starches and proteins usually relegated to the lower reaches of ingredient labels on products like Twinkies") by high-end chefs. Am I an unimaginative old fogey if I admit that that is just not appealing to me? That what I want in my food, high-end or otherwise, is simplicity?

I mean, on one hand, I say fine, cool, go for it. I am all for a wide and expanding universe of food and creativity, so I am glad these chefs and their restaurants exist, on some level. If someone is interested in eating that kind of food, they can go to those restaurants.

But that someone will not be me. The kind of food that thrills and entices me is the stuff being created and served at places like Chez Panisse, the French Laundry, and the Farmer's Diner -- elegant in its simplicity, full of flavor without anything added other than what nature gave the ingredients. Always organic, local, and seasonal. And if grown in the backyard, even better. That's the food I seek out and seek to make in my own kitchen.

Am I just being food-ly small-minded?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin