Pages

Monday, December 31, 2007

Eoin's New Year's Eve Dinner


One of my oldest and very dearest friends in the world, Eoin, is having people over for a New Year's Eve supper and asked me for some advice as to what to make, given that their guests are a fishophobe and a vegetarian.

Easy! I said. This is what I suggested:

Winston's Pasta Puttanesca (since I myself am also a fishophobe, I've already left out the anchovies)

And the fantastic and sure-to-please-a-crowd Mediterranean Salad from America's Test Kitchen:

3 to 4 romaine hearts, roughly chopped
1 head radicchio, cored and sliced thinly into ribbons
Feta cheese - as much or as little as you like
1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained

Dressing:
This dressing really hits its stride once it has been left to stand for about an hour -- the flavors really develop wonderfully...so, make the dressing first if you can.

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (or as much as you like....since I am a garlic fiend, I always double this part)
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Whisk all ingredients in small bowl until blended and creamy. Or do what I do: combine all ingredients in small jar, seal tightly with lid, and shake until mixture is blended and creamy.

(Can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week; return to room temperature before using.)

Happy, happy new year to you and yours...stay safe and here's to a fantastic 2008 full of delicious food!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin