Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Organic Milk Part Deux


A quick follow-up to yesterday's post about the integrity of organic milk.

I did more research on the Cornucopia Institute's Organic Dairy Scorecard, and found a couple of interesting items:

  • Whole Foods' 365 Organic label milk got a 4-cow rating! This is great. They are also the ONLY large, private-label producer of milk who was willing to let the public know about the integrity of their milk. That's huge! As the scorecard/report put it:

    "Whole Foods Market should be applauded as the first retailer willing to be transparent with their private-label products."

  • Trader Joe's, my beloved Trader Joe's -- they didn't fare so well. 0 cows. As I was expecting. I will not be buying dairy from them any longer. Sad but oh well. I'm happy to support local family farms.

  • The fantastic Straus Dairy got a 4-cow rating, too, which is as expected of course.

  • And I learned about the only dairy in California to get a 5-out-of-5-cow rating: Organic Pastures, which produces raw milk (non-pasteurized). Which I am now enticed by and I'm going to give it a try! When your milk is coming from a source this good, you don't need it to be pasteurized! And it's so much better for you that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin