Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Quickie Pollan Post

We just moved into our amazing new house, and we are totally in love with it and our new neighborhood. And we're still kind of in shock that we get to live here, as homeowners.

So on that note -- picture me surrounded by boxes trying to figure out where the dutch oven is -- I am going to post another quickie post, and I can't wait to get back to regular blogging. For those of you still reading, thanks for sticking with me.

_____________________________

Two new items of Michael Pollan (or, as they like to call him on my favorite Jewish Ethical Eating website, Rebbe Pollan) interest this week!

The first is a little New York Times interactive article I came across on Facebook, which I adore:

Michael Pollan's Reader's Food Rules

My favorite? "If you are not hungry enough to eat an apple, then you are not hungry." Genius. Some friends also commented that when apples are not in season, they substitute "lentils" or "a peach," and it still works like a charm.

The second is the recent publication of The Omnivore's Dilemma for kids! As Pollan himself put it, this edition is "aimed at middle and high schoolers. It's shorter and more streamlined, but also has some new material and a wealth of visuals -- photographs, charts, graphs, etc."

I am so ordering it from my library now. And this will definitely go on my list for good ideas for books for kids 13-18.

(Sidenote: if you decide to buy it, I hope you'll support your local bookstore or one of the big independent booksellers like Powell's.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin