Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My Favorite Fast Food Restaurant


I know you're thinking, "WHAAAAAAAAAT? Little Miss Enviro-Sustainable-Against-Industrial-Agriculture deigns to eat at any fast food place?"

Indeed I do. But it's a special fast food place (of course). It's really and truly not like the others. Not only do they source sustainable and local produce, but they serve eco-kosher meats! Hallelujah!

Ladies and germs, I present to you: Burgerville, my dream of a fast food place at which one could safely and ethically eat.

Unfortunately for all of you not living in the Pacific Northwest, they only exist in Oregon and Washington. But if you're ever visiting, they're well worth a trip!

One crazy thing, to me, is that they currently do not have a restaurant in Eugene. What the heck, Burgerville? Eugene is the second-largest metro area in the state *and* we have a certain little school here whose 25,000 students would be eating your food 24/7 if they could (go ducks!). I'm definitely going to continue my email-writing campaign to get them to open one here.

One of my favorite things about them (besides the fact that they serve only 100% antibiotic- and hormone-free, free range, pasture raised, humanely slaughtered beef from Country Natural Beef [basically the Pacific Northwest's Niman Ranch]) is that they are actually in tune with the seasons and serve seasonal menu items. Their sweet potato fries are to die for -- but you can only get them in the fall and winter. They have a fantastic blackberry milkshake -- but it's only available in the summer. You get the picture. Lately they've even been getting more seasonal, featuring one seasonal item each month; November's is cranberry. December's will be pears. Yum! And so cool!

My other favorite thing is how committed they are to sourcing locally. That really rocks. Because while organic is great, oftentimes local is even better. 

PLUS they compost, recycle their cooking oil to turn it into bio-fuel, and power with wind power.

Now this is all well and good, but if the food doesn't taste delicious, then none of it matters at all. So the very, very best thing about Burgerville? Is that their food is mouth-wateringly good.

I <3 You, Burgerville!

5 comments:

  1. And to think I knew you back in your days as a vegetarian...you've come so far! Happy Comment Month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? What a difference a decade or so makes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I can't believe we don't have one in Eugene! Keep up the campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm that sounds SOOOO good! Unfortunately, here in podunk, Illinois, we have nothing of the sort. But, the only hamburger I serve my family at home is from my grandpa's farm. And it is delicious!

    Happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG hamburger from your grandpa's farm? Dreamy.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin