It's a collection of things I use and love in the kitchen -- and wholeheartedly recommend. As well as some non-kitchen, but food-related, items.
If you've got any can't-live-without Favorite Things of your own, I hope you'll share; I'm always looking for the best kitchen tools to round out my collection.
Dena's Favorite Things
- Microplane Grater/Zester (The Classic: I love this microplane for zesting citrus and grating spices like nutmeg.)
- Microplane Grater (Medium Ribbon: If you're not grating hard cheeses and chocolate with a microplane, you haven't lived!)
- Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet (The King of all pans. Deserted island + cast-iron skillet = just fine with me.)
- All-Clad Stainless Fry Pan (The King of the stainless pan. Seriously. All-Clad is worth the $$$.)
- Wusthof Chef's Knife (The ultimate chef's knife. Indispensable.)
- Chicago Metallic Jelly Roll Pan (The only baking sheet I ever want to use.)
- San Marzano Organic Canned Tomatoes (San Marzano tomatoes make the best sauce. They're far from local, but at least they're organic!)
- The New Best Recipe (This is my food bible. If you want the best recipe with exact instructions that has been taste-tested to perfection, the Cook's Illustrated folks are who you turn to.)
- How To Cook Everything (My secondary food bible. I love how Mark Bittman makes everything easy and simple, and shows you how to take 1 recipe and give it endless variations.)
- The Omnivore's Dilemma (The seminal work from Rebbe Pollan on how our current food systems do not work, and how we need to change.)
- Food Rules (The follow-up to The Omnivore's Dilemma that answers the questions you're left with after reading that book, "What should I eat? And how?")
- Like Water for Chocolate (The book: My very favorite novel about food and eating. It is as lush and delicious as your favorite meal.)
- Like Water for Chocolate (The movie: Amazingly, the movie version of the book is, in my opinion, actually better! I adore this movie. I laughed, I cried, I got really, really hungry.)