Pages

Friday, November 9, 2007

Megan's Portabello Broccoli Quiche with Tempeh

We have another recipe from Megan. Yay! This one takes about 45 minutes, but is one she makes often, as it is always a crowd (or partner) pleaser. We have Whole Foods to thank for this one. (Who knew they had recipes?)

By the way, I am personally very excited about this recipe because I heart tempeh. Seriously, I think if given a choice between tempeh and any other protein, I would choose tempeh. I know, I'm weird. If you've never cooked or eaten tempeh before, fear not. Think of it as you would tofu. It just has (in my opinion) a much better flavor, texture, and consistency and feels more substantial. (Plus I like it because it is uses the whole soybean, as opposed to tofu which does not, making tempeh a whole food with all of the accompanying health benefits.)

Megan's Portabello Broccoli Quiche with Tempeh

Serves 6

4 ounces tempeh, cut into bite-size squares
2 tablespoons shiitake mushroom sauce, or teriyaki sauce
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups Portabello mushrooms, chopped
1 cup broccoli flowers, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon basil
1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
pinch of salt
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
4 eggs
1/2 cup yogurt or soy yogurt
1/2 cup plain soymilk
salt, to taste, if desired
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
1/2 cup grated white cheese, such as provolone, Swiss, or soy cheese
3 thinly sliced red pepper rings

Marinate the tempeh in mushroom or teriyaki sauce for 1/2 hour. Sauté in oil until browned. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sauté the onion, mushrooms, and broccoli in olive oil for 7 minutes with salt and pepper. Add this to the tempeh. In a separate bowl, whip together the eggs with the yogurt and soymilk. Add the tempeh veggie mixture, seasoning with salt, if desired. Pour into pie shell. Top with grated cheese. Lay the red pepper rings over the top and bake for 45 minutes. Allow this to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing.

2 comments:

  1. For the love of all that is holy, I just got back from the store! And then I decided to look at your site. I want to try this recipe, but it will have to wait for another day now. Apparently, I need to get my priorities straight and check your site before I got grocery shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to have posted a hit! I know, I am dying to try this one, too. Let me know how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin