Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving Look-back & Cranberry Relish



Our Thanksgiving was really delicious, I have to admit. Here was our menu:

  1. French Green Beans with Crispy Shallots
  2. Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Caramelized Red Onions
  3. Roasted Root Vegetables
  4. Candied Yams
  5. Cranberry Relish
  6. Hubby's Best Friend's Family's Dressing
  7. White Wine Pan Gravy
  8. Roasted Heirloom Turkey
  9. Pumpkin Tarte with Straus Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
  10. Upper Crust Berry Supreme Pie

And there you have it! I'll post some of the recipes from our amazing Thanksgiving feast in the days to come.

To start, here's what I did for my very own take on cranberry sauce. As I had thought, I made up a combo of my mom's cranberry sauce and a recipe I saw in Everyday Food magazine. It was dee-lish. The vinegar added a tartness and acidity that is really missing from most cranberry sauce, I think, but it wasn't overpowering and just set off the cranberries perfectly.

Dena's Cranberry Relish
(I am using 'relish' as opposed to 'sauce,' not because I know the difference, just cuz it sounded fancier.)

16 ounces (1 lb) fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed and drained
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar

In a large saucepan, bring cranberries, sugar, and water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until most of the cranberries have popped, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in vinegar.

Remove relish from heat. Let cool to room temperature, and serve or refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin