Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

James' Root Cellar Smash

My dear friend James is a fantastic cook. The kind who doesn't even really have to work at it, you know? Who just like throws stuff together and it looks and tastes divine. Someday I'll get there. Til then, I keep working at it.

So of course I had to ask him for a recipe to share during this crazy month of NaBloPoMo. And he responded with a great little recipe that will likely come in handy next week as our nation prepares to eat as a way of giving thanks.

Reading it through, YUM is all I can say. I might need these to show up on our Thanksgiving table!

James' Root Cellar Smash
  • Three white sweet potatoes (sometimes called Japanese sweet potatoes at the grocery store)
  • One large, orange sweet potato (any more and it would be too sweet)
  • A couple of your favorite potatoes (Dena's note: russets always work great in mashed potatoes)
  • A large turnip would be exciting as well, but I haven't tried that variation yet
This recipe is very forgiving -- you can make changes to the ingredients as you see fit and based on what you might have in your root cellar.

Peel and cut up into similar-sized chunks all of the above. Boil them until they are fork-tender.

When done, smash it all up -- I like things lumpy.

Pour in that stick of butter and cup of half & half you've been heating up in a small pan on the back of the stove. Season liberally with salt and pepper (taters need gobs). Here's the totally inspired part -- add a goodly dash or two of cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin