Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

Standing Up For Food



One of my favorite bloggers (food and otherwise), City Mama, has just posted a really wonderful post to her blog. You have to read it. I find it inspiring. And here's what it made me think about and post as a comment:

I am also very much caught in that delicate balancing act between wanting to stand by my values and beliefs (and keep myself and my family healthy) by eating only sustainable, local, organic, ethical -- and not wanting to see every penny we manage to save go towards food: balancing the CSAs, the farmer's markets, and a backyard garden with the Whole Foods or Whole Foods-like grocery store.

It's a daily, weekly, monthly struggle. But after maintaining this balance -- or at least working to try to maintain it -- for a few years now, I think it's actually in the struggle where we find that golden, happy medium. Sure, it's not easy. It's not cheap. It's not mindless, and it's certainly not effortless.

But I am starting to think that it is the putting-in of that effort, that thought, and those resources that makes a difference.

So basically what I'm saying is I totally salute you. And I am standing right here with you, against Tyson, Cargilll, Swift, Monsanto, Smithfield, and the whole system that has turned what and how we eat into a bastardized farcical version of its original, natural self.


The truth is I haven't yet seen Food, Inc. I have kind of wanted to but also felt like I might just want to jump out the window after seeing it. Which, I really do realize, is not a good reason -- I know about the stuff that's in there, and the fact is that not seeing the movie won't make it go away and won't make it any less true. Just because I am sick over the state of our food systems because I know a lot about what's wrong with them doesn't mean a) I don't have a lot more to learn and b) that I get some kind of pass on seeing the hard stuff.

I'm putting it on our Netflix queue now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin