Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Why DOES a Salad Cost More Than a Big Mac?

Since I'm so inspired by the adorable and brilliant Jamie Oliver's latest quest, I came across this graphic and very short article and had to share.



"Why does a salad cost more than a Big Mac? Part of the reason is that a huge proportion of our food subsidies go to meat while only 0.37 percent go to fruits and vegetables. That makes meat and dairy artificially cheap, so we end up consuming more of it than we should, and getting fatter."

3 comments:

  1. Super Interesting! Amazing how we need to move institutions and individual behavior to create this shift! Also, how are you managing passover with your new special food restrictions? hugs, Dolores in San Francisco

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know; it's a pretty powerful graphic, no? Really makes us see how and where the disconnect lies.

    Actually, I'm kosher for Passover year-round! During Passover, Jews avoid eating grains of any sort, and since I'm not eating any grains or starches at all, I'm totally good.

    The only sadness is not being able to eat matzoh. I had a small triangle of it at the seder I went to on Monday night, but that's it. I actually am nostalgic for last year, when I would make myself turkey sandwiches on matzoh. And my favorite: matzoh spread with butter and jam.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin