Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2009

What To Cook for the Holidays?


Okay well now that Thanksgiving's come and gone (hah), what will we cook for the holidays?

It drives me crazy how as soon as September comes, it's the High Holidays and all-Halloween, all the time. Then November 1st, it's Thanksgiving-o-rama. Then you barely come up for air between cranberry and stuffing and it's Hanukkah-Christmas all over. Then New Year's is right around the corner.

However.

I have been contemplating what I'll cook this holiday season for the bounty of holidays we have to celebrate in our family (as we are a Chrismukkah kind of family, with me about to convert to Judaism and my husband, well, not), as I have some recipes stored away that I'd like to try out. So here's what I'm thinking:

Hanukkah (begins December 11th): Winston's Minimalist Latkes (my little brother will be here visiting -- yay! -- and I think it'd be fun to make latkes with him. Plus they're muy, muy delicioso.) and Green Beans with Crispy Shallots. Part of the miracle in the story of Hanukkah is that a single drop of oil lasted eight nights, so it's customary to cook with oil on this holiday. L'chaim!

Christmas Eve: I am thinking I just might tackle Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon. !!! Kinda scary, kinda really fun.

New Year's Eve: Hubby's mom will be in town, so I have to figure out what she might like. Perhaps my Company Dinner?

Got any ideas for good holiday meals? What are you going to make?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin